Dr. Mazade's Timely Question: Focus on Summer, Summer, Summer!
By Marc Mazade, M.D., medical director of Infection Control
It’s “Summertime when the livin’ is easy,” and that means movies! One of the greatest summer movies of all time takes place on Amity Island and was filmed on the Island of Martha’s Vineyard. JAWS was released in 1975. One of the most famous lines in the movie, "that’s some bad hat Harry,” is uttered by Sherriff Brody (Roy Schneider) when teased by an older sea bather about not going into the water. That iconic line was later adopted as the name of a film company. What superhero/supervillain franchise did that company release?
Summer is also the time for well-child checks and for vaccinations. On June 17, 2022, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) authorized emergency use of the Moderna COVID-19 vaccine and the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine for the prevention of COVID-19 to include use in children down to 6 months of age.
The release of these vaccines will come with many questions, so check out this useful link. Then test your knowledge by completing the questions below:
- The Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 mRNA vaccine for children 6 months to 4 years is [choose one: one-third, one-tenth, or equivalent to] the strength of the vaccine for people 12 years and older. The Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 mRNA vaccine for children 5 years to 11 years is [choose one: one-third, one-tenth, or equivalent to] the strength of the vaccine for people 12 years and older.
- The Moderna COVID-19 mRNA vaccine for children 6 months to 5 years is [choose one: one-quarter, one-half, or equivalent to] the strength of the vaccine for people 12 years and older. The Modena COVID-19 mRNA vaccines for children 6 years to 11 years is [choose one: one-quarter, one-half, or equivalent to] the strength of the vaccine for people 12 years and older.
- It is important to inform mRNA vaccine recipients, especially [choose one: males, females] ages [choose one: 6 months to 11 years, 12-39 years, 39 years and older], of the rare risk of myocarditis and/or pericarditis following receipt of mRNA COVID-19 vaccines and the benefit of COVID-19 vaccination in reducing the risk of severe outcomes from COVID-19. Vaccine counseling should include signs and symptoms of myocarditis.
- Post-mRNA COVID-19 vaccination myocarditis [choose one: is, is not] a precaution for further of mRNA COVID-19 vaccination. Post-mRNA COVID-19 vaccination [choose one: is, is not] a precaution for receipt of the Janssen COVID-19 vaccination if a man 18 years or older wants it.
- Although a COVID-19 vaccine may be given as soon as symptoms from a COVID-19 infection are resolved, consideration should be given to waiting [choose one: one week, three months, 9 months] before administering a subsequent dose of COVID-19 vaccine.
- One-tenth; one-third. Fortunately, each Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 mRNA vaccine comes in its own age-specific color-coded vial with its own color-coded cap.
- One-quarter; one-half. Each age-specific Modena COVID-19 mRNA vaccine comes in its own color-coded vial with its own color-coded cap.
- Males, ages 12-39 years, are at the highest risk of Post-COVID-19 vaccination myocarditis.
- Vaccine myocarditis is a precaution for subsequent mRNA vaccination, but not for other vaccines.
- Three months is a preferred waiting period by many between COVID-19 infection and vaccination, though not mandatory.
That’s some Bad Hat Harry Productions released the X-Men series. Remember to sit through the movie credits this summer. No sense in rushing back out into the heat!