How to Help Cook Children's Patient Families During the Holidays
During the holiday season, we often get asked by community members, businesses, organizations, congregations, etc. how they can help a Cook Children's patient or family this holiday season.
First, thank you for your kindness and generosity! Below, you will find some options on how to make wishes come true.
- Thanksgiving, Christmas, Hanukkah, etc.: You may send Wal-Mart gift cards to Pastoral Care or to Case Management. You will be helping families ineligible for assistance through other programs. You will also be offering parents the dignity and joy of shopping for their own children - for the food, clothing, and toys that best fit their family’s needs and tastes. Please include your contact information, so we can thank you and furnish you with a tax receipt. If you prefer to give by check, please make it payable to “Cook Children’s” and mark it to either the “Pastoral Care Fund” or “Case Management Fund.”
- Inpatients: Santa always visits Cook Children’s on Christmas morning! Child Life is registered at Amazon.com and Walmart.com, on behalf of our inpatients and their siblings. Perhaps you will make the holidays brighter for a hospitalized child by purchasing items from our Wish List. Or consider purchasing and donating gift cards from our Build-A-Bear Workshop® or Enchanted Castle Gift Shop. Due to our current Covid-19 restrictions, we are unable to accept stuffed animals and handmade items. All items must be new with tags or in original packaging.
- Staff Nurture: We are pleased to accept individually wrapped holiday treats and other food items given to cheer on the physicians, nurses, and other staff who care for our young patients. Please let us know in advance if you wish to help in this way!
- Collaborative Partners: We sometimes get requests from people who wish to contribute items that we do not have the capacity to accept. Several charities who serve Cook Children’s families would gratefully receive these gifts!
- Want to provide food for families? Contact Ronald McDonald House
- Want to give gently-used toys? Contact Goodwill or Mission Arlington
- Want to buy for a specific child? Visit the Salvation Army’s Angel Tree
Again, we thank you!
May your generosity enrich your own celebrations this year.